Old April 3rd 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alex Monro

Default Which to buy - Canon S2 IS $175 or S3 IS $279?

sally wrote:

Daniel Silevitch wrote in
:
Given the big difference in price, I'd go with the S2. The only real
difference between the S2 and the S3 is that the latter has a 6 MP
sensor, instead of 5 on the ealier camera. That's not a big enough
difference to really matter in terms of how big you can print and so
forth.

The S3 uses the same lens and sensor as the S2, so that extra 1MP does not
really capture any more detail. In most cases, printed photos are not
going
to look any sharper. I, too, would choose the S2 if there is a big price
difference between the S2 and S3.

Other differences between S2IS & S3IS are live record mode histogram,
slightly larger screen, and a few more scene modes.

See http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonS3IS/Default.asp