Old February 10th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default "Print So Fine" paper developer

A paper developer formulated without hydroquinine (which is what I
suspect this product is) could still give a good D-Max, but would
perhaps act slower. If KBr is added, that could also change things,
including adding some warmth. It cannot, however, give hugher contrast
in the mid-tones if measured objectively, but if the D-Max is ever so
slighly less, the mid-tones could APPEAR to be more vigorous in
comparison.

Digitaltruth wrote:
Nicholas Lindan has written to me and will be posting the response I
sent him, but the claim we make is supported by subjective analysis of
the print. We strive to post accurate information on our web site and
all product descriptions are designed to help people find what they are
looking for. Unlike a lot of other companies in the market,
Digitaltruth Photo is run by photographers.

Personally, I have used a lot of print developers and based on my own
experience if I was looking for a warm-tone image with excellent
gradation, then Print-So-Fine would be my choice. Its not a fast
developer - typically taking a minute more than a standard developer -
so its not for everyone, but I would recommend it to anyone who wants
better contrast control. The image appears slowly so it is easier to
pull the paper out of the developer before the highlights lose their
sparkle.

I agree with Richard Knoppow's post, and given that sensitometry is
complex I prefer to judge things with my own eye. A print is usually
judged by people who look at it and not by scientific analysis;
however, we do have people making sensitometric tests and will publish
the data as soon as it can be properly assessed. I can assure you that
there is no apparent visible loss of density reported by the various
people who have made subjective analyses of the prints, so even if the
sensitometry shows a technical reduction in density this does not
invalidate the experience of actual users. I'd love to publish jpegs on
our web site, but there is no way to show the subtlety of the effect on
a monitor.

--Jon Mided

Digitaltruth Photo
http://www.digitaltruth.com