Old October 15th 03, 04:01 AM
Francis A. Miniter

Default Waht is your audience?

Hi Michael,

I begin by saying that I am a serious amateur, and that while some of my
images have been exhibited, I am not actively trying to sell images or
otherwise publicize myself. So, the circumstances are limited in which
other photographers or non-photographers generally might even become an
audience for me. That said, I agree with David Meiland. I am only
trying to please myself. There are a few people close to me to whom I
can show my work and get a truly honest opinion, meaning they know they
can criticize without offending me. When they don't like something, I
actually get constructive criticism. "It's too dark." "Not enough
contrast" or [ouch] "It's dull." They do not always agree with each
other. But I have often made better images after hearing what they have
to say about the ones I've shown them. In the end, though, it has to
please me.

Francis A. Miniter

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

Is it more important that 'other photographers' think highly of one's
work, or one's intended audience (meaning primarily
non-photographers)?