Old November 14th 17, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Ripe Apples

On 11/14/2017 12:26 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

Second you can't replace the screen with another of
different spec while retaining your existing hardware.

so what? the screen doesn't normally fail and the retina display is
*much* better than what you have.

Do you really need a screen of that density, when your images are going
to be seen on screens with much lower density?

yes.

Why. What is the benefit, except for the user liking it.

image quality.

For you to look at. Fine. But, not for me when I produce images for
others to view. I you produced an image using a Retina screen, then
produced the same image using my screen, and both were viewed on an sRGB
96 pixel screen, nobody could tell which screen was used in production.

nobody could tell which camera was used either.

irrelevant
did you have a point? no.

and if you're going to be looking at the images on a ****ty srgb
display, then you might as well get a ****ty srgb display to begin
with, along with a ****ty compact digicam, as you'll never be able to
see the difference.

Well maybe there would be more tonality in the shadow areas in the image
produced using my monitor.

complete nonsense.

If you actually produced images you would know it 8is not. The good
people at Apple agree. Indeed when I asked them, they were specific
about the issue with the darker areas.

what is the benefit of your 36mp camera, versus a more affordable 24 mp?

Not a valid comparison.

it's a very valid comparison.

you asked:
Do you really need a screen of that density, when your images are going
to be seen on screens with much lower density?

you don't 'need' a 36 mp camera when your images are displayed on
smaller displays or printed smaller than 20x24 or so (which from what
you've said is the case).

If all my images were full frame, and only displayed on monitors, you
would be correct. Your assumption is wrong.

a typical non-retina 27" display has 2560x1440 pixels, or just under 4
mp. perhaps you should be using your daughter's 6 mp nikon d70.

I get my cameras for what I expect to use then
for. my D500 has less and smaller pixels than the D800. yet I use them
both, as well as my 8800, P&S.

completely missing the point.

At least you admit that you did.

--