Old February 5th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Colin_D

Default Best Raw Processing Software?

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
Can anybody indicate the relative pros and cons of the various RAW processing
software out there?

I am aware of the following:

1. Adobe ACR
2. Adobe Lightroom (an extension of the above perhaps)
3. Bibble
4. Phase One - Capture One (LE and PRO)
5. Raw Shooter Essentials or Raw Shooter Premier
6. Nikon Capture NX

I have access to Adobe ACR in Photoshot CS2 and Raw Shooter Premier. I was
never able to get the latter to work well as part of my workflow, so I didn't
use it, although I look forward to the vaporware upgrade to Lightroom 1.0
(they have NOT sent the email for the free upgrade as promised).

FWIW - I run on a Windows XP Pro 64-bit system with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
and 4GB or RAM. I boot in Vista Ultimate x64 as well. I am looking for a
workflow that is faster than my image by image workflow I currently enjoy
using ACR and Photoshop. My current workflow is tedious and using the batch
options in Adobe Bridge just hasn't stuck for me as I end up with files
processed inadequately [best quality is in a batch of one!].

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I would love to work with Apeture, but they refuse to release it for the
Windows platform ... there loss I guess.

You could look at DxO Optics Pro - http://www.DxO.com - a raw converter,
outputs to jpg, tiff, or dng, your choice.

It also corrects for various lens aberrations, CA, barrel/pincushion
etc. specifically by lens, you get the correction modules for the bodies
and lenses you have, and it will batch correct any number of raw images.
You can run it in auto or manual mode, where you get to specify what
you want done.

The UI could be better, it's not too intuitive, but it works very well.
Processing time is about 40 seconds per image from a 6 MP camera, on a
3.00 GHz P4 and a gig of ram. Your machine should be somewhat faster.

I have no connection with DxO except as a satisfied user.

Colin D.