Old February 5th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Default Best Raw Processing Software?

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
Can anybody indicate the relative pros and cons of the various RAW processing
software out there?

I am aware of the following:

1. Adobe ACR
2. Adobe Lightroom (an extension of the above perhaps)
3. Bibble
4. Phase One - Capture One (LE and PRO)
5. Raw Shooter Essentials or Raw Shooter Premier
6. Nikon Capture NX

I have access to Adobe ACR in Photoshot CS2 and Raw Shooter Premier. I was
never able to get the latter to work well as part of my workflow, so I didn't
use it, although I look forward to the vaporware upgrade to Lightroom 1.0
(they have NOT sent the email for the free upgrade as promised).

FWIW - I run on a Windows XP Pro 64-bit system with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
and 4GB or RAM. I boot in Vista Ultimate x64 as well. I am looking for a
workflow that is faster than my image by image workflow I currently enjoy
using ACR and Photoshop. My current workflow is tedious and using the batch
options in Adobe Bridge just hasn't stuck for me as I end up with files
processed inadequately [best quality is in a batch of one!].

Lightroom isn't an extension of ACR, but the two will shortly share many
features.
I've chosen LR to be my first stop processor and data manager. Most of
my pix don't need PS, but I will also be upgrading to PS CS3.

I am not going to get into arguments with you over any of the above.

--
john mcwilliams