Old December 22nd 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Pudentame

Default End of an Era

jeremy wrote:
"Pudentame" wrote in message
jeremy wrote:
Well, many of us sensed that it was coming.

Pentax had been a longtime user of Hoya optical glass, but to see Hoya
swallow Pentax us is disconcerting.

These mergers nearly always result in big changes, and I would not be
surprised if the "Pentax" name disappears entirely over the next few
years.

Actually, the "Pentax" name is one of the more valuable things Hoya's
getting from the deal. I expect they'll be keeping it at least in the
photography business.

The driving factor behind the merger appears to be Pentax and Hoya
combining their efforts in the medical imaging field.

No, the driving factor is that Pentax has lagged behind Canon and Nikon in
the digital camera business, and is now having to deal with competition from
companies that previously had not entered the camera business, like Sony,
Panasonic, Casio and HP. Pentax screwed up, big-time, and they are no
longer viable.

Well, press release I saw made a lot less mention of the digital camera
business than it did of medical imaging.