Old December 14th 12, 05:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Dyer-Bennet

Default Sony tells DSLR shooters they're idiots

On 2012-12-14 00:06:00 -0800, David Dyer-Bennet said:

Chris Malcolm writes:

In rec.photo.digital Trevor wrote:
"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message

Personally I don't have a problem shooting 90% of the time in full
manual,
but many do it seems, since it requires a little knowledge of what all
the
options mean :-)

That's not, generally, the reason. Though I'm sure sometimes it is.

The reason is often that it slows you down. If you're shooting
fast-moving action in unstable light, it can slow you down
significantly -- depending on how "fast-moving" the action is, even
devestatingly.

I find the opposite just as often. Trying to set overides every time I move
the camera even if the light hasn't changed, simply because there is more
backlight, or some other reason the camera gets it wrong.

Why not simply hit the exposure lock button when it gets it right or
you've adjusted the compensation to get it where you want it? Then
you can move the viewpoint as much as you like without changing
exposure.

Lack of fingers. And I don't know if it even works right -- what
happens if I change the exposure compensation while holding exposure
lock? (And I'm using that finger, which is my thumb, to control the AF,
it's not available for AEL.)

Tongue.
Perhaps nose.

True, the D700 at least is somewhat moisture-sealed :-).

Nose might work out okay, I'm left-eyed so it's at least in the right
neighborhood.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info