Old June 24th 04, 06:32 PM
Dan Wojciechowski

Default Shoot Priority - Sigma the only pro option

"George Preddy" wrote in message
om...
David Kilpatrick wrote in message

nospam wrote:

i also find your claim of 1/30th of a second to format a card,
regardless of size, a bit tough to believe.

True though. It's instant. All the other cameras I've used take a second
or two - a progress bar zips over maybe, or the card access light
flickers. Not with the Sigma. You press the button and it's done. I
usually do it twice because I suspect the camera is lying.

Why all cameras aren't instant is weird. A standard quick format
should be instant, nothing is physically erased just shown as empty
space.

It's kind of nice with photos, because with a good utility or two you
can recover them after the drive is formatted, as long as they haven't
been physically over-written with a subsequent shot.

To be slightly pendantic, "something" is erased: The entries in the FAT
(File Allocation Table) - not the directory entries, as some have
erroneously
suggested. In any case, this is the standard "quick format" for a FAT
system. I believe that many other cameras support this as well, and
absolutely every device that uses a "quick format" allows for the recovery
of any un-overwritten files.

While this is laudable in the Sigma camera, it is hardly unique.

--
Dan (Woj...) dmaster at lucent dot com