Old September 19th 04, 02:33 AM
Nick C

"Quercus" wrote in message
Hi there, I was wondering how do people "usually" set those parameters in
their cameras to get the desired exposure.

I mean, with the camera in full manual mode, do you first choose the
f-stop (looking for depth of field) and then you adjust shutter time until
the exposure will be correct or you do it in reverse order, first shutter
and then aperture to meet correct lighting?

I guess that depends of what is the subject, if it has fast motion you'll
probably set first a lower shutter time, and then check for f-stop... And
so on...

But my question is about "normal" pictures, those without fast motion or
low depth of field required (portraits)...

Which method works best? Shutter-Aperture or Aperture-Shutter? Any
other? Is that just a matter of personal preference?

I own a point and shoot digicam, with shutter and aperture priority
programs, so I don't have all the control over those variables that I
would like to, but I wanna get the best from it while I win the lotto and
get a DSLR ;-)

-Quercus-

To each, their own method. When intending to keep f-stop and speed properly
related to each other, I generally prefer to use f-stops because I can
mentally gauge what the depth of field is going to be with the f-stops I
chose to use. If I'm in a manual mode, after metering the scene I'll
generally set the camera's speed and manually open or close an f-stop, or do
both, as I see the scene I'm about to photograph.

The essential thing is to become familiar with the film your using and
become so familiar with the camera your using, that you instinctively know
what you're going to do when you are about to photograph a scene.

nick

--
Yo uso Software Libre
Debian GNU/Linux (Sarge) Kernel 2.6.7