Old October 6th 09, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Default Why all the noise about noise?

Wilba wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:

Putting it mildly, I would be disappointed to find that I had to buy
add-ons to provide functionality missing from a $600 program.

To avoid serious disappointment then I suggest you be very careful not
to look too hard :-)

With all the hype about Photoshop, which I regard as an expensive program,
I expect that it would include at least something as basic as digital
camera noise reduction, considering that the much lower cost, and now
obsolete, Paint Shop Pro 10 does. I'm taking Alan's word that it does
not.

FFS you guys, stop being so gullible. :- ) There are four noise reduction
tools installed with Photoshop CS4 under the Filter | Noise menu, and one
Add Noise tool.

I think the issue is how good they are, not merely whether they
exist. There has been great progress recently in noise reduction
methods. Good noise reduction is streets ahead of poor noise
reduction, and paying a lot of money for an editor is no guarantee
that you get *good* noise reduction included. Same for any other area
in which there's been a lot of recent progress.

--
Chris Malcolm