Old June 17th 05, 12:06 PM
David J Taylor

Ryadia@home wrote:
[]
Maybe your idea of low light and mine might vary.
I thought f2.8 at 1/20th and ISO 200 was low light but on reflection,
maybe it's just natural light indoors. anyway, to shoot the same with
a 20D (hand held of course) would require 1/125th to avoid shutter
shudder fuz so a 20D, DSLR would need to either be on a tripod or use
considerable higher ISO number than the FZ. The noise thing is, I
think, blown out of proportions too. If you can shoot a scene at 200
ISO which requires 800 ISO from a low noise camera, then high noise
at high ISO doesn't have the same meaning as the numbers would seem
to suggest.

Living where I do, such light levels are not unknown outdoors in the
Winter!, but yes, having the IS allows hand-held with the FZ20 where a
higher ISO on a DSLR would be another way of getting a similar result.

I though my post would interest those who use their cameras inside
without flash. The inside shots were in my reception area which has
no windows, only reflected light from the gallery area. I used to be
able to take OK (hand held) shots with my 10D at 1/60th with an IS
lens but I would never attempt that with a 20D due to the increased
mirror slap.
Over all, I think that I cannot do without my DSLRs but I also think
that rangefinder cameras have a lot of benefit in questionable
lighting. Although I had mixed lighting, Fluros, tungsten and
daylight, the FZ read it better tahn the Canons do.

Thanks for the report. I guess that low-light to me means inside churches
where you're trying to photograph the architecture. I recently had some
2-second shots with the FZ20 in Barcelona Cathedral with the camera firmly
wedged (poor man's tripod) and was very pleased with the results. Laying
the camera on its back is my favourite trick for ceiling photos, but the
protuberances on today's cameras don't make this easy!

Cheers,
David