Old June 17th 05, 11:21 AM
Ryadia@home

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message k...

Douglas

The folks in the newsgroup:

rec.photo.digital.zlr

would probably be interested as well. I have stuck with the lowest ISO
setting (80) when using my FZ5, and my observation is that at long
exposures it may do an automatic dark frame subtraction. Haven't played
enough to confirm that, though.

Which, specifically, are the low-light shots in that gallery?

David

Maybe your idea of low light and mine might vary.
I thought f2.8 at 1/20th and ISO 200 was low light but on reflection, maybe
it's just natural light indoors. anyway, to shoot the same with a 20D (hand
held of course) would require 1/125th to avoid shutter shudder fuz so a 20D,
DSLR would need to either be on a tripod or use considerable higher ISO
number than the FZ. The noise thing is, I think, blown out of proportions
too. If you can shoot a scene at 200 ISO which requires 800 ISO from a low
noise camera, then high noise at high ISO doesn't have the same meaning as
the numbers would seem to suggest.

I though my post would interest those who use their cameras inside without
flash. The inside shots were in my reception area which has no windows, only
reflected light from the gallery area. I used to be able to take OK (hand
held) shots with my 10D at 1/60th with an IS lens but I would never attempt
that with a 20D due to the increased mirror slap.

Over all, I think that I cannot do without my DSLRs but I also think that
rangefinder cameras have a lot of benefit in questionable lighting. Although
I had mixed lighting, Fluros, tungsten and daylight, the FZ read it better
tahn the Canons do.

Douglas