Old June 10th 17, 07:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

Default EXIF time stamps

VanguardLH wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Do you have a smartphone? It sounds not. Upload of photos from
smartphones (iOS, android, Windows) is a rather commonplace operation
these days. It's almost entirely done online, via wifi or 3G/4G.

Yep, have a smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Core Prime aka G360). Never
uploaded photos to it, only downloaded from phone to PC. I could use
Bluetooth, wifi, or USB. To charge it when not in use, I have a USB
stand. I just use the AutoPlay popup in Windows when I connect the
phone to the USB stand to transfer photos from phone to PC. I'm not a
photo junky even when I do travel. They'd really be to give to others
but then I'm not into doing travelogues with others. Mostly I take pics
of stuff that I am selling, a car accident, or some occasional use.

After taking a couple pics with the phone and waiting 5 minutes leaving
the phone disconnected from the USB stand, I plugged the phone into the
stand. The 5 minutes was to ensure some time elapsed from when the pics
were taken. The AutoPlay popup appeared and I had it transfer the pics
from phone to PC. I wanted to see if the file transfer would retain the
original timestamp of the file as it would be on the phone. That is, I
wanted to test if the file transfer did a copy operation but used the
original timestamp from the file on the phone for the timestamp of the
new file created on the PC. I figured 5 minutes would be enough to see
a difference in timestamps. After importing the pics to my PC, the
timestamp on them said they were taken 9 minutes ago. So the file
transfer retained the original timestamp for the file on the phone
(instead of using a new timestamp for the new files created on the PC).

Maybe using a different copy operation would've set a new[er] timestamp
on the files that got created on the PC than the timestamp for the files
on the phone. The transfer kept the original timestamp. Still don't
know how you transfer your photos from phone to PC but maybe that method
also retains the original timestamps.

You asked me that twice before! "Uploaded to my PC via Dropbox."
My iPhone automatically uploads photos from my camera roll to
C:\Users\terry\Dropbox\Camera Uploads\ whenever I have wifi and the
Dropbox app is running on the iPhone.

It appears then there is a
difference in regional settings on your phone versus your PC, like DST
enabled on one and not the other or a difference in timezones.

Having the phone or PC automatically sync its OS time (using the
cellular carrier for the phone or to some NTP server for the PC) does
not mean they are configured for DST changes or the same timezone.
Since this was a trip to Italy, presumably that is not your home region.
Where is home and your PC, is it an hour difference in timezone from
Italy?

UK - as in my sig!

From what I recall of Irfanview (haven't used it for a while), it is a
Windows-only program (no *NIX variant), so the one-hour off on timestamp
is an issue for the photo transfered to a Windows host. To look at your
regional settings in Windows 7 (don't know what you have):

- Go to Control Panel - Region and Language. Under the Location tab,
is it the same as the current physical region for your PC?

Yes

Not sure
how this will affect timestamps but it is a regional setting.
- Go to Control Panel - Date and Time:
o Under the Date and Time tab, is the timezone set for the current
locale of your PC?

Yes

o Click on the "Change time zone" button. Is the option
"Automatically adjust clock for Daylight Saving Time" enabled?

Yes

o With the DST option enabled, go back to the main screen of this
dialog and pick the Internet Time tab.
* The "Synchronize" option should already be enabled.
* I use the time.nist.gov NTP server but you might pick something
else. Microsoft's can be overly busy with all the Windows hosts
defaulting to point there.

Mine is using 'time.windows.com'.

* Click "Change settings" button and then click "Update now". Did
your OS clock change by an hour?

Naturally, no, why would it, given that it's already accurately set?

I believe Italy honors DST. Does your locale honor DST? Some places
don't in which case DST should probably be disabled in the time
settings.

I think we invented DST!

Terry, East Grinstead, UK