Old January 21st 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Blinky the Shark

Default Ping WHISKERS

Blinky the Shark wrote:

Whiskers wrote:

Physics. With the very short focal lengths that go with most 'amateur'
digicams (to get sensible angles of view with the tiny image sensors),
anything much smaller than f/8 will result in the diffraction of the
light rays hitting the edge of the apperture overwhelming the
un-diffracted rays passing through the centre of the hole, thus
degrading the image unacceptably.

Ah! Diffraction at the blades. I didn't realize that was an issue. I'm
used to abberations toward the outside of the lens -- but this is kinda
the reverse because it gets worse nearer the center of the lens axis. And
that's why I never thought of it.

And what did I just run across in r.p.digital?

You /can/ get the depth of field, but at apertures of f/16 or so and
smaller, diffraction softening comes into play. Just makes the image not
quite as sharp. I'm no expert, just what I've read.

/q

I love the Net.

--
Blinky