Old January 14th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,nz.general,aus.aviation
Podge

Default Digital Photography On Aircraft Not Permitted on Take Off or Landing

"Mark B." wrote in message
. ..

Guess you haven't taken any flights for a while. Airline security has
changed drastically over the last several years, including turning off all
electronic deviced during takeoff & landings. Even something so harmless
as a PDA, which I usually have with me to read e-books during a flight.
Most PDAs have wireless connections built-in now, but years ago when I
started using one there was no such thing - didn't matter, it still had to
be off except while the aircraft was at cruising altitude.

Well then, how do professional photographers get their city aerial pics? Do
they have to especially hire aircraft for this purpose?

If you used an old film-type still camera, I wonder if these would be banned
also? I can understand that laptop computers, GPS units and other radio
transmitting devices could cause problems, but I am a bit surprised to find
that a tiny digital still camera could be a problem!

I would have thought that interference from strong (and perhaps unshielded)
ground-based radio signals would be just as much a problem to an aircraft
that is coming in to land as the interference that a tiny digital camera
could produce? I wonder if any scientific tests have been done on
interference from digital cameras, or whether it's simply easier to ban all
electronic devices?

Podge