Old January 14th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,nz.general,aus.aviation
Pete D

Default Digital Photography On Aircraft Not Permitted on Take Off or Landing

"Podge" wrote in message ...
I was on an Air New Zealand flight a while ago, and I started to take a few
pics (from my digital still camera) as the aircraft took off. An air
hostess politely told me that the use of electronic devices was not
permitted during take-offs or landings. I told her that I was using a
dedicated still digital camera and not a camcorder, but she still asked me
to turn it off. About 10 minutes later, when land was well out of sight, we
were able to turn on our "electronic devices". But about 10 minutes before
landing, while still over the sea, all electronic devices had to be turned
off again. The only worthwhile photography from this flight was during the
first and last 5 minutes of the flight, and this would apply to many other
flights that I have been on.

Now I know that the use of camcorders has been banned during take-offs and
landings, but I didn't know that digital still cameras now suffered this
fate. My digital camera can't take movies, but I know that a lot of
digital still cameras can also take movies. From a practical point of
view, does anyone know whether digital cameras really CAN interfere with
an aircraft's navigation systems? Are airlines being a little too cautious
with regard to the use of digital cameras and camcorders?

About 5 years ago, nobody cared when I used my camcorder or digital still
camera during take-offs or landings, and there were no reports then of
interference with the aircrafts' navigation systems! So what has changed
during the last 5 years?

Podge

I am really doubtful there would ever actually be a problem but just in case
there might be I personally am prepared to comply with the wishes of the
crew "just in case".