Old September 13th 04, 07:31 AM
Ivan

White lightning is one of the brands which prompted my questions.
I was wondering if that brand is indeed also somewhat less cost-wise? I
gather they stated out being a low-end, economical product, but have
gradually evolved.
I may have to make a spread sheet and go through websites gleaned off of
Shutterbug ads .... ;-) ... but I am hoping for some quick feedback re
cost/quality/support/accessories, etc.
Also where is white lightning equipment made?

Thanks !

-RS-

I use White Lightnings - Paul Buff in USA. He also (I believe) produces

the
Alien Bee series, which from what I hear, are about the best value for

money
around.

Their customer support is exceptional.

Roy.

Sure White Lightening aren't exactly the top end of strobes. 15 years ago I
bought three of those WL 10,000 tin cans and one WL 1800. They are FUN, and
cheap, and provide plenty of cheap light for your home studio for still
life, portraits, weddings. They're not overly versatile as far as directing
the beam. The snoot works so/so....the barn doors so/so. But if you're a
handy man you can make all kinds of accessories and gel holders etc... It's
a cheap learning experience, and if you work with them enough you can create
some nice setups. I'm not nearly professional enough to judge the critical
color balance.
I had one problem with one of my WL10,000 units. I sent it back to Pauly C.
from Canada. It came back extremely fast and covered by warranty.
I bought a 3'x4' softbox for my WL1800 unit. Very Very nice!!
I would highly recommend White Lightening to someone wanting to experiment
with studio lighting. It's cheap enough to practice with until you know
EXACTLY what you want in a more professional line of strobes. My White
Lightening setup has seen countless family weddings, portraits, still life
and floral. Even when they're finally worn out or you've outlived them they
would make funky looking lamps as long as the modeling lights still work,
which wouldn't take much brains to do. You could mount them on old tripods,
or mount them from the ceiling with gels or other home made accessories.
Useful to the END. Did I happen to mention that I LOVE my White
Lightenings?
Ivan