Old September 21st 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
James P. Clark

Default Nikon D200 vs. D80

Wow, I came back to check this thread and I see it has generated a lot of
Rockwell, but I still contend that the site has useful information.
I have a couple points I'd like to make:

In the D80 vs. D100 comparison there were no appreciable misleadings in my
mind. Rockwell states that both cameras have 10MP sensors. It was pointed
out that the CCD sensors are different. Do most people care one has a couple
less pixels than the other, or one uses 4 channels instead of 2? I think
not. If I wanted any further technical details about the sensor, then I
would consult Nikon directly. Unless the site is sponsored by the
manufacturer (Nikon), then any information conveyed on any other site about
Nikon products is susceptible to error.
My opinion is that Rockwell's writing style is less refined and you could
say less professional than other review sites. However, he has written about
features and how to use them that I did not find on any other site, he gives
practical "how to" information lacking elsewhere. For example, I read about
the wireless i-TTL flash control you get when the D200 is paired with a
SB-800 flash. I didn't find that pointed out anywhere else when I was
researching my D200 purchase, a key point in my decision to upgrade my flash
as well as the camera.

"Bill" wrote in message

"James P. Clark" wrote in message
Here is a useful link comparing the D80 with the D200. I bought my D200
in July after reading all of the information on Ken Rockwell's site. I'm
still happy with my D200 purchase even after reading the comparisons.

No offence, but how about posting a link to a site with accurate
information?

Rockwell is the joke of the professional community.

His so-called "review" is full of misinformation and bias. I'm guessing
from the garbage he spews out about technical details and features of the
D80 (too many to list here) that he hasn't bought it and may not have used
it at all like some of his other "reviews" where he just makes it all up
based on what he read elsewhere.

I can't stress this enough - DO NOT TRUST ROCKWELL.

The guy is full of sh!t (dare I say a liar?) and can not be trusted to
give an honest or even accurate review of any kind. All he seems to do is
post questionable info on his site with dozens of referrer links to
purchase equipment (HINT - if you click one of his links, he makes money).

So if you want to read Rockwell, go ahead, but make sure you have a LOT of
salt handy to improve the flavour of his bullsh!t.

:-)

At the very least, try sites like these for more accurate reviews:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond80/ (just a preview so far)

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ni...ew/index.shtml

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D80/D80A.HTM

http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/nikond80/

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/A100vsD80vsXTi.shtml (comparison)

Once you read up on the D80 and it's features, go back to Rockwell and
compare facts. At least he's good for some laughs.

And if you want personal input from users, try public forums or newsgroups
like this one.