Old October 1st 04, 02:31 PM
Dallas

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:48:31 -0400, Alan Browne had this to say:

Gordon Moat wrote:

I think ideally for the manufacturers, they would make products that
expire just past the warranty period. With the ever changing pace of
direct digital cameras, they should want people to get the next thing
often, and continue the "upgrade" path . . . much like marketing of
computers a few years ago.

I don't think they need to fail for people to upgrade. People seek the
best (apparent) performance and upggrae on their own. Never changes,
change.

I have heard a great deal about Sony P&S digital cameras expiring very
close to the warranty period, so perhaps they are doing this correctly
to prod a forced upgrade path. Phone makers already do this.

You only hear about the ones that fail. You don't hear about the ones
that keep on ticking and ticking and... I've had my current Nokia cell
phone for 3 years, it has fallen off of my car (in motion) and scattered
its parts all over the road ... still works after reassembly. My prior
Nokia went to my ex-wife (got to love the PIN card) and she is still using
it.

Cheers,
Alan

Well let's not talk about cellphones! But seeing as you brought it up...

My original cellphone was a Nokia 5110 which is still going strong today,
nearly 6 years after I first got it. It is now my 7 year old son's latest
toy! My second Nokia was a 3310 which although it is still working, has
given me endless trouble. It's been in for repair so many times that its a
joke. I know a LOT of people who have the same problems with that
particular phone.

When I got my last upgrade I thought I would try something different and
got a Motorola 720i. What a lot of crap. It really sucks.

I'll get a new phone about midway through next year and I am wondering if
I ought to get a Samsung - they seem to be very good.

--
DD™
"And that's all I got to say about that" ~ FG