Old October 17th 18, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On 10/17/2018 6:26 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 16 October 2018 16:18:06 UTC+1, Neil wrote:
On 10/16/2018 8:20 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 16 October 2018 12:52:12 UTC+1, Neil wrote:
On 10/16/2018 6:00 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 15 October 2018 14:25:35 UTC+1, Neil wrote:
On 10/15/2018 9:14 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 15 October 2018 13:08:04 UTC+1, Neil wrote:
nospam wrote:
keep in mind that i've been using them longer than you have, since
word/excel were available for macs before they were for windows.

I've used Word under DOS before Macs existed. So, I don't know what you
think you were using, but it wasn't the first versions of Word.

He did say BEFORE windows not before DOS there's quite a differnce without mouse control or WYSIWYG

Word under DOS had both mouse control and WYSIWYG, as did all apps that
needed it, such as drawing, painting, etc. FWIW, Windows 1, 2, & 3.x
were merely DOS shells, and there were better shells available prior to
them.

I don't remmeber WYSIWYG being any good under DOS. It could have been that at the time all we had was orange/black or green/black 80 coloumn monitors.

I think it depends on one's systems.

I don;t think so DOS was NEVER WYSIWYG.

Under DOS/Windows, WYSYIWYG is determined by the app, not the OS. Not
all apps need to be able to preview font sizes and so forth (or even be
able to print, for that matter).

so it's NOT WYSYIWYG is it.

I had NTSC color monitors under DOS
and I could see the layout, word spacing, fonts, etc. I was going to get
prior to printing the document. That, to me, *is* WYSIWYG.

Not at the time it wasn't could you see underline and the font sizes as well as font type.

Well, I have numerous publications from those times that were created in
Word, and I could always preview them prior to printing. So, I don't
know (or care) what your limitations were, but they weren't universal.

only if you ignore the facts.
Publications don't matter, unless they were viewed on a screen.
You could use a daisy wheel printer to get letter quality but that wasn't WYSYIWYG.

Perhaps the extra characters in your above comment provide some meaning
beyond "What You See Is What You Get", but as far as I'm concerned, it
only means what it says; one can preview on-screen the parameters the
app can control and the output will match that. It has nothing at all to
do with a GUI.

--
best regards,

Neil