Old October 11th 18, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

In article , MC
wrote:

I never know when mine is updating until I go to shut down. I then
see the "Update and Shut down" rather than just "Shut down" on the
Start menu. Then when I reboot next day it just goes into
"Configuring windows" for a couple of minutes and straight back to
desktop. No fuss, no bother, painless and straightforward. I see
no problem whatsoever and certainly no "worse possible time".

then you're the exception

Probably because I have correctly set up the way updates work on my PC.

it should be that way by default, without anyone needing to do anything
special.

requiring the user to tweak things so that it doesn't **** them over is
why it's broken, and what's worse is that there are people who make
excuses for it being broken.

there are ****loads of examples and it's one of the biggest
complaints about win10.

I have not been through all the examples you have posted but most were
old examples dating back to when Windows 10 was new and/or prior to
when automatic updates were tweaked by MS.

this was from 6 months ago, so most likely 1803 or possibly 1709, where
win10 rebooted with *unsaved* *data*, causing data loss:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...s_10_home_how_
do_i_prevent_update_reboots/
Virtualbox VMs and Notepads may be open with unsaved data in them.
This is non-negotiable.
Windows 10 periodically kills these applications without respecting
the unsaved data in them.
How do I force windows 10 to never do this? I don't mind windows 10
restarting if there is no unsaved data. But unsaved data in an
application should never ever ever be lost.

*anything* that causes data loss is unacceptable.

the update can be deferred, except not in all versions, and not one
that's in progress:
https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-...ates-auto-rest
arts-are-the-worst/
And while the next version of Windows will let you stave off updates
for a 35-day period (if you paid extra for a Pro, Enterprise or
Education-grade copy of Windows, which sounds like a moderate form of
blackmail), my understanding is that even those versions won't let
you cancel an update that's already been delayed and is now about to
occur.

Most of these examples also
fall under the category of the user/admin not knowing how to prevent a
reboot/implementation during workflow hrs.

again, forcing the user to tweak things so that it doesn't **** them
over is a major design defect.

windows update is broken. it's that simple.

If it is I have not noticed it.

then you're in denial, the part you snipped:

In article , nospam
wrote:
then you're the exception, or just in denial.