Old October 11th 18, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On 2018-10-10 10:58, Neil wrote:
On 10/10/2018 10:25 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
On 10/10/2018 12.59, Neil wrote:

As I don't power up Windows often (I'm a Linux user), the day I use
Windows I tell it to search for updates now, instead of letting it there
for days waiting for the updates to come.

I don't read that as saying yes to optional updates: once I tell Windows
to search for updates it starts searching, then downloading, then
updating on its own, taking an awful long time to do it. Like two days
of updating and rebooting several times.

I take "optional" to mean an update that I can refuse to do, that it
actively asks me whether I want it or not. That did not happen.

I wrote that there are optional SETTINGS (read it again). One does not
have to enable IDK updates in any version of Win10, which makes them
"optional". That has nothing to do with whatever you are referring to
as "optional updates".

I'm still running WinXP (home) and Win 7 (work) to support legacy s/w
and an accounting program.Â* Both on Macs under a virtualizer.

From what I keep reading about Win 10 I shudder to think I may have to
go there some day... (different "editions" with different abilities and
limitations, arbitrary updates (just when you have to get something else
done...)

Many people don't understand Win10

Surely they shouldn't need to, any more than understand how a microprocessor works

They do, if they're going to screw with it.

Well a good OS shouldn't allow the user to create so many problems.

A good OS allows users to accomplish what they need to do. For many, if
not most, that means running the apps that they need, but for others it
means being able to configure the hardware and OS for special purposes.

I've used
and supported several machines running Win10 for over 2-1/2 years
without a single problem on any of them because I saw what was coming
and how to manage it during the Windows 8.x years.

Not every PC users feels they need to update so often and are happy with what they have so don't update partly due to cost of update or the percived hassle.
This is where Apple have it more sussed, by giving away major updates users are more willing to update especially when they don;t have tp pay for it, so more users update.

The updates aren't the issue. It's users that want to involve themselves
in a process they don't understand.

So, even though Win10
is my least favorite version of the OS, I can't say that it's
functionally any worse than earlier versions.

Not exactly a glowing refernce for a new OS if yuo;re comparing it with a 15 year old OS.

Well, I'm not comparing it to a 15 year old OS, and I don't know what
gave you that notiono.

--
best regards,

Neil