Old September 17th 12, 02:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

Default Nikon D600 a compromise but ok

On 9/15/2012 10:41 PM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
PeterN wrote:
Plastic is good. Weighs less, and more comfortable to hold.

True.

I am more interested in hearing about the focusing issues with the D800,
as I am torn between that and a D4.

That should not really be too hard to decide (unless
what you really want to have is both of them!).

The D4 shines for event photography where higher ISO's
are the norm and for sports photography or photo journalism
where faster operation and frame rates are the norm. It
is also a more rugged camera, hence for field work that
may involve some abuse of the equipment (nature
photography comes to mind), the D4 is better.

The D800 has more pixels. It has better dynamic range
too. Hence if large prints or cropping of images is
important, or if producing the highest quality image
with the least noise is significant, the D800 is better.
Landscapes, fashion, glamour, and portrait work are
examples of where the D800 shines over the D4.

I use both models. If I could only have one it would
have to be the D4, but the fact is that I shoot the D800
probably 2/3rds of the time. But when I need a D4 the
D800 just won't do (event and sports), while if the D800
was not available the D4 will not be quite as good but
will provide very usable results (people pictures,
portraits, street photography, etc).

One other point that I think is significant too... is
that no matter what you have now, waiting to upgrade to
either a D800 or a D4 is an unfortunate loss of time. A
D3S is the only camera that comes close to comparing
with them (specifically with the D4, not the D800), and
either camera over everything else is a massive leap
towards better photography (assuming you do have the
time and talent to make use of such cameras).

Ohh... Unless you typically mount f/1.4 lenses and shoot
focus chart wide open, there isn't a focus problem. If
you do shoot charts, there might be.

I am leaning towards the D4 because of its better high ISO usability and
higher fps rate. Although it has less pixels than the D800, the pixels
are much larger.

--
Peter