Old September 16th 12, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

Default Nikon D600 a compromise but ok

On 16/09/2012 12:12 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 13:56:23 +1000, Rob wrote:
: On 15/09/2012 12:06 PM, Rich wrote:
: PeterN wrote in
: :
:
: On 9/14/2012 8:05 PM, RichA wrote:
: On Sep 14, 3:47 am, (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:
: RichA wrote:
: On Sep 13, 3:01 am, Me wrote:
: On 13/09/2012 6:19 p.m., Rich wrote: Yes, it has a FF sensor,
: 24mp. But, you don't get it for $2099 and not
: suffer some compromises. 1/2 plastic body, 0.7x viewfinder,
: D7000 body ergonomics (Yeesh! I hope it's closer to the D300
: body) but for someone who needs FF on the cheap, this is it. The
: kit lens, if it's as good as the 16-85DX for $600 should be good
: though.
:
: The VF is 100% -
:
: VF magnification is 0.7.
:
: Just like all of Nikon's top of the line FX bodies, the
: D3, the D3s, the D3X, the D4. The D800 and now the
: D600 too.
:
: The D700 is different, it's 95% and 0.72x magnification.
:
: Other than that you don't know what that means, did you
: have a point?
:
: --
: Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
: Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
:
: Fanboy alert. Never mention anything even seemingly negative.
:
:
: Exactly when did you give anything a positive review?
:
:
: Most cameras today function well enough when they work that anyone can
: take a decent image. Low-light capability is very good, focusing (in
: most cases is very good). So, the only differentiators are the problems
: and the short-comings. $2100 for a 1/2 plastic body when the D300 was
: $1700 and all metal, 4 years ago? Counter-balancing this is that it's a
: $2100 FF. The D800 and it's horrible focusing problems, a deal-killer
: for many a new Canon owner. These are the only things that really make a
: difference, not whether a D600 and D7000 have fractionally different high
: ISO capability.
:
:
: Where did you get the horrible focus problems from?? So you own a D800
: then.? or just read about them?
:
: For a start its a not bad just a few rants and lots of BS you don't have
: to use the LHS for the focus, its not a sports action camera. Not all
: cameras came with the problem. There have been no cameras released since
: mid year with the problem and those which did have them, have had
: firmware updates.
:
: I have read some reviews and can't see why DOF can't pull the problem
: back into focus.
:
: The D800 makes you think more about how you take the shot, as its a lot
: more defining on ones own neglect.

I'm having some difficulty parsing that last sentence. Is it a roundabout way
of saying that the D800 is harder to use than the D600?

Bob

It magnifies the operators short comings, what is taken for granted, fix
it in an image editing programme, all those things you have come to
accept when using a digital cameras which have soft images.

I haven't tried the D600 so can't compare it with that, but going from
12Mp certainly you have to take more care to optimise your results. I
have always thought my results from D200 or D90 have been soft and had
to use sharpening in post processing. Even checked some images off a
D700, those could still be be improved with post processing.

Certainly, f/stop does make a difference if you shut down too much, to
gain a greater DOF, makes diffraction more viable in the results with
loss of definition.

Tripods help reduce movement.

Because of the 36Mb, which is heaps, I can see no difference, using
sharpening in PShop.

IMO its a redefining camera, which is worth taking your time checking
the settings and using a tripod, to gain optimum results.