Old February 16th 11, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
[email protected]

Default Lens Cell Cleaning

On 2/15/2011 8:24 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

While its possible the coatings account for the
difference I think something else must be happening. What I
suspect is that the cement in the rear element of the Ektar
may have become hazy. This is a peculiar effect that I've
seen in other Ektar lenses. When examined under
magnification, and using grazing incidence light, you can
see that the cement layer has developed a sort of
orange-peel texture. You can see it using transmitted light
as a light haze but its effect on contrast is enormous.

I used the wrong term saying "marginal coatings", this was more what I
was referring to and since I sold this lens long ago, I have no way to
know what the actual problem was. The other issue I had was right after
purchase I had to have the old shutter repaired. Like I stated in
another post, I love my 135 WF ektar so it's not like I hate old lenses..

I guess what I was trying to get across is: in my experience this
"novice" lens produced MUCH better results, especially on color slide
film, than my commercial ektar did so some statement that one of these
old "classics" is always a better choice didn't pan out for me. Nor have
I seen anything in the results from this lens that would have me go look
for a replacement. Whatever was wrong with that ektar lens wasn't
obvious but I don't doubt there was likely something like you stated
wrong with it. Given their age, I also wouldn't doubt others have this
same issue, that doesn't sound easy or cheap to resolve. I would suspect
that finding a good working sample of a geronar would be more likely
that finding a good sample of a lens that is many years older, YMMV.

Stephey