Old September 26th 08, 05:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
[email protected]

Default Infrared photography

In rec.photo.digital bino wrote:
| "nospam" wrote in message
| In article , bino
| wrote:
|
| The problem is that you won't see an IR picture per se, as the image
| requires post processing to be anything but a dark red image. If your
| camera has a B&W mode, that would be helpful, but the image will still
| require post processing.
|
| false.
|

| You got some facts jackass? Experience? I've shot IR film and IR digital.
| The red filter makes the color sensor see red. Period.

Who said anything about a red filter ... in this thread?

Actually, I would recommend a IR-passing filter (e.g. type 89) on the lens
after the IR-blocking filter is removed. The sensor (with a replacement
all-passing filter to keep the optics consistent) will pick up IR in other
colors. This is because the color separation of the sensor is not designed
to discriminate IR (and hence why an IR-blocking filter needs to be added
in the normal case). The red channel will get the most IR. The blue channel
will get a lot. The green channel will get some. And these will vary by
what IR wavelength is involved. So you will get some false color effects.
Directly viewing the image on the camera screen will give some funny reddish
colors for sure. Post processing can then give you the effets you want if
you were using the correct lens-front filter to begin with (type 29 for some
effects, type 89 for others, and type 87 for yet others). In some cases the
desired effect is achieved by making everything monochrome. In other cases
the desired affect is a color product derived from adding or subtracting the
various color channels. Additionally, multiple shooting of a stationary
subject with different lens-front filters (the above plus 25, 23, 15, 12, and
none at all) can give you multi-channel info to even be able to derive the
original visual image unaffected by infrared (with the correct formula).