Old May 31st 21, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Apple Macs: Can't upgrade, can barely repair them.

On May 30, 2021, Alan Browne wrote
(in article ):

On 2021-05-30 14:50, Bill W wrote:
On May 30, 2021, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In , Alan Browne
wrote:

I doubt I'll do as well trying to sell this iMac, however. The jump
from intel to Mx will make this a dinosaur fast.

only because intel has stagnated for the past decade.

already, the m1 macs, which are low end entry level computers, have
pushed existing intel pcs into the endangered species category.

It’s also going to push some of their own products to undesirable status.
One thing that will delay Intel’s and Windows' ruin is that fact that so
many people don’t need any more performance than they have, and lots and
lots of people simply don’t want to change OS's from something they have
become very familiar with over many years. It’s been a bit time consuming
for me, and I'm at least somewhat tech savvy. I’m sure I’ll be switching
to the M1 at some point, or adding it, but I’ll probably take a pretty big
hit on the MacBook when I sell or trade it. It’s already 1k.

And my ~1 year update on the MacBook for anyone interested: it does, as they
say, “just work”. The only problems I’ve had have been the native mail
client, and that seems to have sorted itself out, and the spinning beach

Apple Mail is good until it isn't.

That’s mostly how I feel about it. I don’t put any demands on it because
I don’t work anymore. It’s just simple, basic personal use. It works okay
for that until it crashes. It’s been good for a while for that, now.

I've had problems with it in the
past but it's been well behaved of late - though it sometimes needs a
tickle to re-connect to GMail (where I have 2 personal and 2 business
accounts).

ball, but I leave lots of windows open in Chrome, and it mostly happens
working with one specific app, so that could be the sole blame. It has sort
of crashed once or twice, but rebooting cleared I up. Windows remains a
continuing nightmare, especially their updates.

I haven't had a Mac OS crash in years. I re-boot every ~60 days
typically. My SO's MBA has had to be force rebooted after using Screen
Sharing from my Mac. Can't access the mouse afterwards. (1 of 3 times).

Beach balls occasionally. Rarely need to kill a process though.