Old July 23rd 08, 07:40 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Toni Nikkanen

Default Buying medium format cameras in New York ;)

"David J. Littleboy" writes:

FWIW, KEH at least will ship internationally. Adorama might, too. There are
hassles and inconveniences and expenses associated with buying
internationally, but get those taken care of leisurely and spend your travel
time travelling instead of shopping.

I know this and have ordered from KEH a couple of times as well as
Adorama. However, that means I would have to pay customs and taxes,
which would inflate the price about 30%... compared to just getting
onto the return plane with the camera on my neck

Also FWIW, I'd recommend the Mamiya 7 over the Mamiya 6. I found that for
rectangular images, 6x7 feels a _lot_ larger than 6x6 cropped to a
rectangle. I know it's only a 70/56 increase, but a 6x7 slide seems enormous
next to a 645 one on the light box. (Partly this is because making a 13x19
print from 645 is beginning to be a stretch (for we unrepentant grain
sniffers) but razor sharp 16x20s from 6x7 are like falling off a log.

I've been considering this and some other points and have found it to be a
very tight match - because while all you said is true, then again,
projecting 6x6 slides is far more likely to happen. Used Rollei 6x6 projectors
are readily available at reasonable cost, but 6x7 is another matter...

Currently I'm still too undecided about which one to choose and will probably
buy the one I find first

The Mamiya 7 with 65mm lens might be a workable choice if I only manage to buy
ONE lens. If two, 80+50mm would be neat. If I wanted to shoot panoramas on 35mm,
then the 43mm would be really nice.. excuse me, I'm going to return my lottery
ticket now..