Old July 23rd 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David J. Littleboy

Default Buying medium format cameras in New York ;)

"Toni Nikkanen" wrote:
I'd like to buy a Mamiya 6 or 7 body with some lenses (50/75mm for M6,
50/80mm or just 65mm for M7), and the availability in Europe isn't
that great right now. As I'm coming to New York the 6th of August,
maybe I'll have some luck buying my camera there. I've been checking
the web and so far the best deal in New York for used Mamiya 6/7
equipment that I've found is from Adorama.com - for example, $649 for
M6 body and $499 for the 75mm.

FWIW, KEH at least will ship internationally. Adorama might, too. There are
hassles and inconveniences and expenses associated with buying
internationally, but get those taken care of leisurely and spend your travel
time travelling instead of shopping.

Also FWIW, I'd recommend the Mamiya 7 over the Mamiya 6. I found that for
rectangular images, 6x7 feels a _lot_ larger than 6x6 cropped to a
rectangle. I know it's only a 70/56 increase, but a 6x7 slide seems enormous
next to a 645 one on the light box. (Partly this is because making a 13x19
print from 645 is beginning to be a stretch (for we unrepentant grain
sniffers) but razor sharp 16x20s from 6x7 are like falling off a log.

And if you can afford the 43/4.5, it's said to be an amazing lens.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan