Old November 26th 04, 10:49 AM
Beemer

says...
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:33:39 GMT, Beemer wrote:

Do not use a variable frequency dimmer as you will shorten the life significantly
through filament vibration especially at low output.

I disagree completely; see my response to the original poster. Using
a dimmer (solid state type) to slowly bring the bulb to full power is
a great way to extend the filament life.

You are correct and I retract my statement. The low frequency thought I
had came from the distant past where, instead of photographers using
series/parallel switches to control light output, some folks used
diodes. When a diode is used it results in 25Hz operation and this
resulted in the premature failure.

Thanks

Beemer