Old January 15th 18, 02:28 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Susan Bugher

Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

On 1/14/2018 5:09 PM, Eco Clean wrote:
- Eco Clean wrote:

I'm spending my time installing and running the three suggested
softwares.
http://www.posteriza.com/es/index.php?lang=en_US
https://sourceforge.net/projects/posterazor/
https://inkscape.org/en/release/0.92.2/

Inkscape freeware did very nice vector fonts but it didn't do *anything*
else, least of all tiling, so, I don't see how that's a solution for
cut-out templates for spray painting on larger stock than what a home
printer can print.
[http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id...0cd330d e1fb]

I'm confused about this vectored stuff.
Isn't trutype a vectored font anyway?

Anyways, moving to your first suggestion, here are my installation logs.
[http://www.posteriza.com/es/index.php?lang=en_US]

http://www.posteriza.com/es/index.php?lang=en_US

There are three types:
zip, exe, exe installer

I chose the exe installer
http://www.posteriza.com/es/index.ph...d=5&lang=en_US

That installed Posterizia 1.1.1, which came up *fast* (as fast as
Irfanview).
It wouldn't open Powerpoint, but it took image formats.

You have to use "open image" to open an image, but no big deal that they
have two different open buttons.

You can set the border, which may be useful to wall off the 1/4 inch that
is not printable in the printer.

In the size tab, you can set the width and height in "page units.
Default Width = 3 pages (US Letter)
Default Height = 4 pages (US Letter)

I turned off the automatic button to manually change the width to 1.4111
And I changed the height to 1.639

There's an "apply" button but it did nothing so you're not sure the changes
stuck.
I printed to PDF because I wasn't sure why it still showed 12 tiles.
The PDF was 12 pages.

So there's a trick to get Posterizia "take" the manual page-size commands.
I set the width to *even* increments of 2 pages wide by 2 pages tall, and
*that* did apply.
But it actually created 2 pages by 3 pages tall.
WTF?

Then I noticed that everything is *symmetric*!
So that's why, I guess.
I need to turn off the symmetry.

That's when I saw the "Poster Centered" checkbox, which is checked by
default.
I unchecked that and hit apply.

I also noticed "For Sale" text overlayed, which I removed by unclicking the
text checkbox.

I turned off the border and header, but stil an apply centered the darn
thing.

With the centering off and the apply, at least I could get it to take a
width of 1.411 pages and a length of 1.639 pages, for a size of 15.4x20.4
inches, which seems wrong since it should be 12x18, but the program
*insists* on centering every page!

I never could get it to a final size of 12x18 though, no matter what I did
with the numbers. This guessing stuff is for the birds.

I don't like guessing either and there's no help file. One of the web
pages does note "Use any photograph as background. Supported formats are
BMP, JPEG, PNG, EMF and GIF. Uou can even use just part of a photo!"

I've played around a some more with Posteriza, When I selected a photo
and then clicked "more" the app showed me how the image fit on the paper
for the printer's current page selections and gave me options to rotate
or crop it.

It looks to me as if the easiest way to print exact widths or lengths
could be by changing the margin. Lessee, the default is 10 mm and there
are 25.4 mm to an inch - I input a 50 mm "page margin" and, yes indeed
(smile), got the 2" margin I was trying for on the (single) printed
page. (A little work will be needed to calc the right margin setting for
a grid of pages)
..
There are some differences between what you saw on your machine and what
I'm seeing here - dunno if it's because our Windows versions are
different or because the printers are different. It aso seems to get
stuck on some things when it should be changing the display, something
you also noted. So - not totally glitch-free but easy to use and a think
most of the glitches are from things I'd normally not be doing.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware (using WinXP-SP2, Win7professional-32 bit)
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.pricelesswarehome.org