Old November 15th 16, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

Default Affinity Photo Beta

On 11/14/2016 8:12 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 14:24:50 -0500, Neil
wrote:

I've downloaded and started getting familiar with this app, and thought
I'd share a few first impressions; I will be buying this app!

I mentioned in another thread that I used Serif software long ago, but
that they faded into the background for me when Adobe started buying the
better graphic app companies and subsequently dominated the market. Like
their earlier products, Photo appears to be aimed at the professional
user. The app handles all the essential formats including CMYK and LAB.
The tool set is considerable, and I even found some creative ways that
some of the "common" tools work to make editing photos easier and faster.

Not only is this app a functional competitor to PhotoShop, there is no
comparison to the "lesser" apps like GIMP. There may be something one
can do in PS that can't be done with Affinity Photo, but it might take
me some time to find it.

Thanks, Duck, for the pointer!

What have you been using?

Over the decades I've used several programs, of course. I still mainly
use PhotoShop for image editing because it supports the formats I needs
and integrates with Illustrator, FrameMaker and InDesign, which I also use.

My review of trying out Affinity Photo was very luke-warm because I
don't see any advantages to what I'm now using: Adobe's PS/LR
subscription.

At this point, I don't see an "advantage" over PS of the Affinity Photo
Beta, but there are a few features that I may prefer for some uses.

I also wonder how you are doing image management.

My needs go beyond just image management. I have to manage the large,
complex documents (~500 pages) that I create, so products like LR are
inadequate solutions. So, I wrote my own document management software
decades ago, a relatively simple relational database app (compared to
some commercial programs I've written).

--
best regards,

Neil