Old April 5th 12, 04:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Default Entry level Nikon 24mp?!

RichA wrote:
On Mar 30, 6:09Â*am, Wolfgang Weisselberg
David J Taylor wrote:

And more pixels will always get more out of the lens. Â*Just not
necessarily nearly as much as the increased pixel count would
indicate.

Rich always looks at photos in 200% view, though ...

Are you all so blessed as to have so many lenses you never, ever have
to crop?

Now, RichA, yes, we do have lenses. For example, I can couple a
70-200mm f/2.8 IS with a 1.4x and 2x teleconverter (and still get
a better image and more resolution with 8 MPix than a cropped 24
MPix with a 200mm lens).

Cropping is only ever *required* for format changes (say 1:1).

In real life in 99% I crop only slightly, if at all.

Do you want 8 megapixels on that 1/4 page crop, or 3?

A 1/4 page is (usually) around 4.25" x 5.5", or 2.1 MPix at
300 dpi. 8 MPix at that size is 585 dpi --- total overkill.

So, yes, 3 Mpix is perfectly fine, thank you very much.

-Wolfgang