Old November 9th 09, 08:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
JB

Default G-Claron single cell use

In article .com,
murrayatuptowngallery wrote:

I just read a 10 year old post about using a G-Claron as a 'pseudo-
convertible' by using one cell; performance would probably be better
than 'vintage' convertibles.

I had previously wondered about splitting plasmats but wrote it off as
'sacrilege' on already decent lenses, but seeing the post made me
realize it's been done.

Anyone actually try this with a G-Claron 150 and does it have any
unique qualities, or just 'work'.

Thanks

Murray

I purchased a G Claron 150 from Chuck Farmer at The F Stops Here about
15 years ago. It's a great lens under certain light conditions. I used
it configured as 150 and as 300. In the 300 configuration, you need an
adaptor that will permit the mounting of a yellow filter, to replace the
front element.

Sorry, but I don't have the filter dimensions / specs at hand, but
34.5mm pops up as the correct fit.

The most critical aspect of using the 150 as a 300mm is the reality of
single-coating on the G-Claron lens, which after all was intended to be
used as a flat-field repro lens. Attach a lens shade to the yellow
filter and never shoot even obliquely into sun.

With yellow filter and lens shade the G-Claron 150 configured for 300
produces wonderful, sharp images. It's a great lens.

Regarding Ron Wisner, I used the G-Claron on his Technical Field camera
for five years. Great combination.

- Jan Becket, Honolulu