Old September 19th 08, 12:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Noons

Default DYNAMIC RANGE LOVES THE 40D!

Annika1980 wrote,on my timestamp of 17/09/2008 1:35 PM:

There are areas in all of your shots you posted that are 255,255,255.
There are also areas that are 0,0,0.
Good luck printing those.

No problem whatsoever. It's called full dynamic range.
Something you dslr users are not familiar with, with
that washed out watercolour stuff you call "photos".

Ever tried to get an image with ANYTHING outside
200,200,200 and 100,100,100?

You should really try it: it's called full dynamic range
and is what reality uses. Your beloved Ansel Adams invented
a thing to help get that called the zone system: it had
quite a few more zones than just 4-6.
That's why his stuff was so impressive. Try producing
images that have more than 150 different steps in tonality,
it's not really that hard and quite rewarding.

In your defense, the pics looked a lot better on my calibrated monitor
at home than my crappy LCD monitor at work.

I know. If I find a way of making pictures look good
in ANY monitor including the crap people work with most
of the time, I'll let you know!
Try this for REAL detail:
http://wizofoz2k.deviantart.com/journal/20548136/
LOL!