Old June 4th 09, 01:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.misc
whisky-dave

Default Anyone remembers those old soft and hard camera cases?

C J Campbell was inspired to
say
On 2009-05-29 14:12:22 -0700, said:

In the old film cameras era, I recall that when you purchase an SLR
camera, it usually comes with a soft or a hard (leather) case. The
case is attached to the camera via a screw to the tripod mount at the
bottom of the camera. I wonder why they do not have any more of this
type of camera case? Since it is attached like a "skin" to the
camera, I usually did not need to buy a camera soft pouch case. The
case will protect the camera outer shell from dust, and perhaps little
bumps; although it will not likely help to reduce impact if the camera
falls. On a second thought, I also wonder if the new padded camera
cases that you can get at the camera stores nowadays can protect the
camera if it falls either. Anyone has some thought about this?
Thanks for the info/discussion.

They were unpopular, mainly because they took too much time to unfasten
and get the camera ready.

I though it was cost, but I did have a cheap one and found it useful.
I used to carry a few camera around and it certainly stopped them damaging
each other from rubbing and knocking against each other.

The only thing they did was protect the
camera from minor scratches. People complain because it takes two or three
seconds for their digital cameras to power up. They would have a fit if it
took ten times that long to unfasten a case, too. Many a pro does not even
know where his lens caps are.

The real problem was that the flap that went over the top would bob up in
front of the camera lens!!

Mine would I do that if I tried to take a shot with that part of teh case
still atached.
Mine had a key&hook and I uswed to remove that secion of the case
just before removing the lens cap.
But that was on my old Praktica L which didn't even have a battery.
I wound the film on by hand too ;-0

However, I'm not too proud to admit that I used my Leica M3 for years in
one - but the Leica case had the advantage that the cover could be
completely removed, and the camera was protected in the little cradle that
held the body.

Sounds very much like my cheap case.

But if you want one, most manufacturers still make them for their consumer
cameras. You just have to order it. If you have a pro type camera, forget
getting one from the manufacturer. You will have to go to some third party
supplier.

Much more popular are belt pouches and holster systems, which offer better
protection and faster accessibility.

But too easy to sit on, with the consequences of damage to vital parts!

isn't that part of the fun ;-)