Old January 21st 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default digital to match Velvia?

On 21 Jan 2006 03:02:58 -0800, "etosha" wrote:

Okay, this is just hypothetical, as I won't be going digital for quite
some time (I intend to make the most out of my Dynax 9), and Velvia 100
is simply outstanding. But, as that day will eventually come, and I am
completely in the blue about digital cameras and pixel rates...

Minolta now has a 6 million-pixel body called Dynax 7D, and Canon and
Nikon have digital SLRs that produce 12 million pixels.

The question is: to be able to match the sharpness and saturation of
Velvia 100 and Provia 100F, would the Minolta body suffice, or would I
need the new Nikon or Canon models?

In other words, does digital deliver?

help appreciated,

cheers, Marko

P.S. I don't mind the extra hassle of buying film, scanning etc. as
long as the quality is good. That is the only thing that matters.

I've also just discovered Velvia 100 (although in 6x6; I don't shoot
much 35mm any more as I've gone mostly to digital for that stuff) and
like it a lot. I heard something not too long ago about a Photoshop
plugin that supposedly will adjust a digital image to reflect the
saturation characteristic of Velvia. A patient Google should tell you
where to find it (I think it's a freeware thing).

Jeff