Old November 28th 05, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default better ISO or image stabilizer for lower-light shots?

My 1/8 pictures with image stabilization on are quite sharp. 1/4 is dicey -
maybe one out of 5 come out acceptably sharp.

I'm strictly a recreational P&S'er - I'm not hauling around tripods and
lights on vacation, or out with friends. :-)

"Arnold" wrote in message
1/8 and 1/4 handheld shutter speed is pushing it for sharp photos.

Can I ask why you don't want to use a tripod? I am not sure of the weight
on this camera, but even small, cheap telescopic tripods are available,
measuring around 30cm X 1cm.

You also missed another option. Create your own light.

"bob smith" wrote in message
Just curious, if I want to do a lot of lower light/indoor photography
without flash, whats better?:

1)Cleaner high ISO sensitivity: Something like the Fuji Finepix F10 which
can shoot cleanly at
ISO400 and can do up to ISO1600

2)Use of an image stabilizer (for example, in the camera I currently have
the Panasonic DMC-FX8)
to allow you to use a slower shutter speed. For example, in this camera I
can take clean shots at 1/8
shutter speed handheld without problems, sometimes even 1/4.

I believe typically without image stabilizer you would want to use no

slower
than around 1/60 shutter
speed? So if 1/8 is usable, does this mean 8x more light? If so, does
this
mean that 1/8 @ 100ISO
is equivalent to 1/60 @ 800ISO? Is it just a simple formula like that?

For purposes of this discussion assume I want a small P&S digital camera,

no
tripod, and the shots
are of static images (so slowing the shutter speed doesnt matter except

for
camera shake from being
handheld)

Thanks a lot!