Old December 5th 12, 10:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
DanP

Default Could flash memory replace DVD/Hard Drives if this pans out?

On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 3:58:49 PM UTC, ray wrote:
On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 14:44:13 -0800, RichA wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20579077

Eventually? - probably. But it will be some time before 1TB solid state
AFFORDABLE drives are available.

Why do you need 1Tb SSD in your computer? Store your data on a RAID NAS with HDD. That way you can afford to have a small but fast SSD that helps your computer boot in seconds, store your data in a safe place, access it from other computers in your house or even from outside. And archive your data on HDD's.

I am on my first SSD, I have heard they might not last long. I have changed some settings on my system to be SSD friendly and not abuse it. Even if it fails in 6 months I would buy the same one again.

Mine is a 60Gb, I have read less storage gives more reliability and is cheap enough to be replaced yet big enough to hold my system.

DanP