Old October 4th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.marketplace.digital
RsH

Default Which camera....

I am looking for a camera for use from a cruise ship's balcony to
catch whales, and to take photos as we come into and go out of ports
both for a cruise to Mexico's west coast and to Alaska. As well I want
to use the camera for other things, but a larger optical zoom factor
is a must. So the following seem to be the cameras I am considering...
Which is the best choice?

Some use SD cards while others require a unique and expensive memory
stick. Each has different features. The lens quality is also an issue.
Steve's Digicam has NOT reviewed the newest cameras in the list yet,
so I cannot tell if I should even consider those cameras, except that
the 18x Optical Zoom from FujiFilm is definitely a major factor. I
will likely be buying via someone in the U.S. and have the camera
shipped to Utah as the first cruise is out of L.A. in about 6 weeks
and I can then get it from my son, who lives in Utah, at the ship,
where we will be meeting. I refuse to pay a higher price in Canada for
a camera when the Canadian dollar is actually worth more so the camera
should be cheaper in Canada!

So folks, which camera should I buy, and WHY should I choose that
particular model, or not choose a different model, from the following
list. [and Yes, I recognise that this will all be subjective.]

RsH
1. FujiFilm FinePix S8000fd 18x Optical Zoom 8.0 megapixel
US$284 from Broadway Photo and C$444.63 from Agile Electronics are the
lowest prices TODAY when the U.S. and Canadian dollar are basically
identical in value.

2. Canon PowerShot SX100-IS 10x Optical Zoom 8.3 megapixel
US$241 from Broadway Photo and C$373 at Mostly Digital in Ontario
Again the prices are out of line since Canon in Japan has set the
wholesale price in Canada at a higher amount than the wholesale price
in the U.S. - This camera is hitting the marketplace NOW in October,
2007 when the U.S. dollar is worth LESS than the Canadian dollar.

3. Canon PowerShot S5-IS 12x Optical Zoom 8.3 megapixel
US$299 from Broadway Photo and C$438 from Cendirect.com in Montreal.
Same basic issue on price.... but this camera has been in the market
place longer.

4. Olympus SP-550UZ 18x Optical Zoom 7.4 megapixel
US$276 from Broadway Photo and C$470 from Vistek

5. Sony CyberShot DSC-H9B 15x Optical Zoom 8.1 megapixel
US$334 from Broadway Photo and C$359 from Cendirect in Montreal.

6 FujiFilm FinePix S700 10x Optical Zoom 7.1 megapixel
US$169 from Broadway Photo and C$229 from Infonec in Toronto.