Old May 11th 17, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default For those Who Care to Play: Acros SOOC + RAF

On Wed, 10 May 2017 23:00:07 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Well, I finally got my photo computer working again a little after I
hung up on MS customer support, and a little before I reached the bomb
threat level of frustration with them.

what does it take to move beyond threat level and actually carry it
out?

After they told me I had to pay them to tell me how to fix the problem
that *their* update caused, I was at the tipping point... And this was
after I told them exactly what was wrong - a munged boot sector. "Oh,
well at this level 1 customer support, no one knows anything about
MBR's and those things. You have to get that info at level 2, our paid
service".

It's almost exactly like ransomware, except that a lot of Googling
came up with a fix. About 10 commands (bootrec & diskpart commands)
typed into the command line - really about 60 seconds if you type
fast, and it's fixed. The ridiculous part is that the Windows
install/recovery files (Media creation files) come out differently
depending on whether you choose to write them to a USB drive, or to a
DVD. Some tools are missing in the USB version, and a couple of the
commands fail, the critical one being bcdboot.