Old June 25th 04, 09:45 AM

Default Nikon D70 and lens selection (DX vs. others)

paul wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 01:11:13 -0400, Bob wrote:

Although they are cheaper and lighter, you don't really want to invest too
many DX lens, unless you believe we'll be stuck in 1.5x crop factor. You
can't use them on film cameras. If there are breakthrough in sensor size
development, the DX lens would be worthless.

Isn't someone already making a larger sensor? I'm sure I heard about one that is
about 95% film size... it's only a matter of time anyway...

As long as the sensors will be made out of silicon wafers the film sized
sensors will be expensive. A 24*36mm piece of silicon will always be much
more costly than the a 19*30mm.

A quick calculation with the following assumptions:

You seem to be assuming that a defect will render a sensor useless: it
might, or it might not. If a defect takes out a whole line, then the
sensor is toast, of course. But if a defect only spans a pixel or
two, the sensor is still usable.

Andrew.