Old December 8th 03, 10:41 PM
Michael Scarpitti

Default Rule of Thirds?

Toke Eskildsen wrote in message .. .
Michael Scarpitti wrote:

Toke Eskildsen wrote:
|------|----| - Line divided using the golden ratio.

|------| - Length 1
|----| - Length 2

The golden mean is as follows:

A/B is the same as A+B/A

A B
|------|----|

A = 1
B = 0.618...

A/B = 1/0.618... ~= 1.618...
(A+B)/A = (1+0.618...)/1 ~= 1.618...

Yep, that works just fine with a line. No need for rectangles here,
although that works fine too.

That's it, completely.

That's how I understand it too. But I thought that your argument was
that the golden mean only worked for rectangles?

The 'golden mean' is a ratio. Period. It has nothing to do with
shapes. Rectangles whose sides are in the ratio of the golden mean are
often thought to be pleasing in proportion. The Parthenon, etc.

[Snip Statistics]

If you don't put it in the center, and you don't put it at the
extreme edge, what else is there?

Is that a trick question? My answer is "An infinite number of other
places". Did I win anything?

Yes, in principle, but if you take a vertical picture and place the
head in the dead center that won't work too well, if you place the
eyes at the top of the frame that won't do either. What else is left?
Somewhere in between will result in an approximation of thirds.

|-------------|
| |
| |
| |