Old October 19th 04, 08:29 PM
Robert Meyers

Default Upgading to Budget Strobe System?

Hey all,
Once again, more questions

I am looking for a set of strobes. I would be using them with my Contax G1
(35mm), and Olympus E-1 (Digital), and possibly an unknown medium format
that I may purchase sometime in the future. I am starting new, nothing but
my basic flash (Olympus FL-50, similar to Canon 550EX) and a Metz Slave
flash. I am bouncing between three kits, Could any of you all tell me what
you thoughts are on these? I am trying to keep the strobe kits at or under
$1000.

1. Travelite 1500w/s Two-Head Umbrella Kit: 999.00 I believe these are made
by bowens. Neat thing is, end of the month there is a no tax sale, and they
are opening 2 miles from me.

2. 2x DigitFlash (made a mistake earlier) 500 with Stands and barn doors.

3. Alien Bees, B800x2, + stands, etc. These seem nice but are very low
powered and have very low powered modeling lamps.

I am looking for head and shoulder portraits, and some tented small product
shots. I work, mainly, in a very small one care garage, all white interior.
My Garage is 18' L x 8'W x 8'H. I was considering using the FL-50 for fill
off the ceiling (164 guide number). At times I will very likely be shooting
at an altar area of a church (not weddings, not up to that yet).

The thing that did weird me out is how expensive barn doors are for the
travelites, versus the AB and DigitFlash. I am pretty open, new or used.
I was also offered a Calumet Elite 1200ws set with two heads (used). So I
am pretty far gone. Too many options. Any other suggestions?

?

Thanks!

Robert Meyers

Crossposted to rpe35, rpd, and rptp, as all relevant.

[