Old April 16th 17, 01:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Film scanners?

On 2017-04-15 08:22, newshound wrote:
I realise that this question doesn't have a simple answer, but it is
time I started scanning some of my old 35 mm slides and negatives
(mostly b&w).

I would really welcome some comments or experience on hardware in the
"keen amateur" price bracket.

I know I can also "farm it out" but I'm interested in doing some myself
at least to get a feel for what results to inspect. Is there anything
which stands out towards the budget end in terms of value for money or
ease of use?

Amidst the other suggestions also think about archival quality scans for
the "best of the best". So a dedicated scanner is the best choice.

Also "pre filter" your film and slides to select those that are worthy
due to content or quality.

Make sure the scanner had ICE (scratch, dust correction) - thought that
won't work on Kodachrome (not sure about B&W).

A lot of Minolta 5400 scanners out there as well on the used market.

--
"If war is God's way of teaching Americans geography, then
recession is His way of teaching everyone a little economics."