Old September 16th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Default NiMH cell voltage

Daniel Prince wrote:
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 07:48:08 -0700, Daniel Prince
wrote:

Sometime ago, I bought a used camera on eBay. It uses two AA cells.
I noticed that I was not getting very good battery life with Kodak
2.1 ah pre-charged cells.

Yesterday when the camera said that it needed new batteries, I
checked the voltage of the cells. One was 1.288 volts and the other
was 1.292 volts.

These voltages seem much too high for "dead" batteries to me. I
checked the menus on the camera and the manual and did not find a
setting for battery type.

Is this camera defective and rejecting batteries at too high a
voltage? Thank you in advance for all replies.

It would help to know what camera you are speaking of.

It is a Canon PowerShot A510.

Hmm, if there's one type of camera I wouldn't bother to buy used it'd be
the Canon A series. For some reason this series is priced ridiculously
low, maybe because everyone is buying the super small, super slim cameras.

I picked up a second A570 IS at a closeout sale at Sears for $130. The
A590 IS was worsened a bit with poorer video capability and a higher
resolution, higher noise sensor. I think they couldn't do 30 fps at the
higher resolution (8 megapixels versus 7.1) so they cut it down to 20
fps which is too jerky.