Old April 21st 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default (April,17th) Picture of the Week

"William Graham" wrote in message
. ..

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
"William Graham" wrote in message

"Chris Loffredo" wrote in message
Annika1980 wrote:

If I had to live in Paris, I would protest.

Isn't Tennessee the State where at one point PI was legally defined

as
being equal to 3.0?
And you'd miss out on your banjo music...

No, this is a false urban legend, and it was Alabama....Not
Tennessee......See:
http://www.snopes.com/religion/pi.htm

Ah, but at the bottom of the snopes article it says this:
Sightings: In _Stranger in a Strange Land_ (written in 1961), Robert
Heinlein makes passing mention of Tennessee's enacting a law making pi
equal
3.0

Yes. Heinlein wrote fiction (fortunately) and not history......
My favorite Pi approximation is 355/113, which beats the hell out of
22/7.....

I'm just pointing out that he wasn't anymore factually incorrect saying
Tennessee than he was saying Alabama. Both were fictionally posited as
religious pi in the sky nuts, and in fact the Tennessee reference came
first... ;-)

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com