Old March 9th 04, 02:12 PM
telman

Default photographing moose in the "Anchorage Hillside" area?

"Fred A. Miller" wrote in message
Bill Hilton wrote:

No, it's NOT "hokey!!" Moose ramble at will through parts of Anchorage
frequently. I'll send you a pic. or two. via private mail of moose IN
Anchorage sent to me by my uncle who lives there.

I live in Anchorage. Moose are all over the city - but they tend to be
solitary animals. You will usually see just one. But, within my limited
knowledge (I've only been here a year so far), they do not seem to be
territorial. That said, they are definitely around!

I come from England. I was amazed at the way these very large animals just
wander around - no barriers, no inhibitions about people, traffic or other
animals, no road sense whatsoever! Right into the city center. Just don't
get too close - they are able to fight off wolves and bears.

I work in an area referred to as "Midtown." It is a fairly frequent
occurrence for a moose warning to be posted on the building internet -
something on the lines of, "There is a bull moose in the south parking lot,"
or "There is a cow moose and calf on the west side of the building." (Cow
moose with calf means be very cautious - the cows are very protective.)

In the summer I suspect there will be a better chance of seeing a moose in
one of the city parks (of which there are many). However, a large park on
the south side of the city is usually a certain place to find them - Kincaid
Park.

As to the Hillside - a good place to look. But watch out for bears!

Telman