Old September 19th 15, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Two questions

On 2015-09-19 05:29, J. Clarke wrote:
In article , says...

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , PAS
wrote:

I think either an Intel or AMD would do fine for you. Look into
getting
a system that has a self-contained liquid cooling system, it keeps
things cool and quiet and they are not expensive at all. I put one
in
my system when I upgraded recently and I really am happ that I
decided
to go with it rather than a CPU fan.

oh god no. liquid cooling is just asking for trouble

Sure it is - not.

Depends on the cooling. IBM mainframes are liquid cooled these days and
the MTBF is measured in decades IIRC.

Liquid cooling is an option in some z series computers. I suspect it's
simply a means of reducing the floor footprint of the machine.

The system is designed for hot fail module swapping where the system
will run at reduced capacity until the failed module is replaced. This
applies to pretty much every operating part in the frame (from PS to I/O
to processors to memory to disks). The system reports failures to IBM
support so the natty tech can run out and change the part.

So while its parts have lower MTBF's, the "whole" keeps operating. If
you allow that to mean the "system did not fail" then, yes the system
MTBF is very high.